SFBS LRBC 28 Raffle is on!
Purchase your tickets now!
The most anticipated Raffle of the year is here! The SFBS LRBC #28 RAFFLE, you can be the winner the South Florida Blues Society's traditional LRBC cabin raffle!. We will be cruising the high seas January 22-29 2017 on the Holland America's NEW ms Koningsdam. Raffle will be held At the SFBS Annual Picnic.
To see the line up please visit www.bluescruise.com
Want to know where to go?
South Florida IBC winners
The SFBS congratulates THE FUNKY BLUES BAND (Band) HIGHWAY 27 (Runner Up) and JOSH "The Pitbull of Blues" ROWAND (Solo), who will be representing us in Memphis January 31st to February 4th at the Blues Foundation International Blues Challenge.
The SFBS will be organizing a series of fundraisers to help the band and Josh fund their trip to Memphis.THE FUNKY BLUES BAND band will receive $1,000,
and JOSH ROWAND will receive $500 in adittion to the priviledge of compiting in the prestigious event.
The International Blues Challenge represents an international search by The Blues Foundation and its Affiliated Organizations (mostly blues societies) for the Blues Band and Solo/Duo Blues Act ready to perform on a national stage, but just need that extra break.
For more information on the IBC please visit The Blues Foundtaion website.
Special Thanks to all the members active and new who showed up for the show and to Galuppi's Restaurant for their hospitality.
The South Florida Blues Society is now accepting submissions for consideration for the Best Self-Produced CD program sponsored by the Blues Foundation as part of their Keeping the Blues Alive awards. If you have a disc that meets the requirements listed below, you should get five copies to me, for our board of directors to evaluate. We will will listen to the disc, evaluate in each category, and assign a score. The disc that receives the highest total aggregate score will be selected for submission to the Blues Foundation by the South Florida Blues Society.
Important: We will accept submissions until Friday, October 7, 2016.
Best Self-Produced Official Rules:
* Entries for the Best Self-Produced CD are permitted by affiliated blues societies only.
* Each affiliate is permitted one entry.
* The CD entered does not have to be performed by the band entered in the 2016 International Blues Challenge.
* Compilations are not eligible.
* The eligibility period is the same as for the Blues Music Awards-the CD must have been released during November 1, 2014 - October 31, 2015 time frame.
* If an affiliate does not conduct a competition to determine who it will sponsor but instead appoints a CD, that CD may not include a board member or officer.
*A performer who has previously been nominated for a Blues Music Award (formerly the W.C. Handy Blues Award) shall not be eligible for this competition. A CD issued in the name of an otherwise eligible performer which also includes the contributions of a Blues Music Award nominee may be ineligible, depending on the extent of the contribution .
*A CD on a record label that has been previously nominated for a Blues Music Award (formerly the W.C. Handy Blues Award) shall not be eligible for this competition.
* Recordings with established or "known" producers within the industry are eligible as long as the recording is on the artist's independent label and NOT on an established blues label.
* Singer, band, society or local producer may produce the actual CD as long as the performer is a singer, band or other individual entity.
* Judging will be in three stages. There will be two rounds of judging by radio/print people leading to the final judging.
South Florida Blues Society is responsible for ensuring that their submission complies with these rules. If you have any doubts or questions, contact the Foundation office.
Judges will evaluate the following points. The following criteria are in order of importance.
(1) Blues Content (is this a Blues Music recording)
(2) Musical Performance (Musicianship)
(3) Audio Quality of the Presentation (Production Values, Levels)
(4) Cover Art and Design (Professional Packaging, Ready for the rack at your favorite music outlet?)
(5) Credits and Liner Information. (Informative, Professional)
The finalists will be announced prior to IBC weekend. Music professionals will judge the finalists and the winner will be announced at the IBC finals. Finalists are NOT required to attend IBC.